Skip to main content

Rest

It's becoming increasingly clear to me that I may very well learn more from my child than she will ever learn from me. I don't mean that she is some type of child prodigy and was born with infinite amounts of wisdom; rather, I am beginning to see how God is teaching me truths about Himself, about life, and about myself through the experience of raising this baby girl.

Today is Sunday, a day of rest. And that's quite ironic, because Charlotte seems to want to do ANYTHING except rest. She has been fidgety, fussy, tearful, and wide-eyed. All. Day. Long.  In fact, right now, I am sitting in her nursery listening to her try to fight her way out of the swaddle, tossing and turning in her crib, and fighting sleep with every ounce of her being.  I've learned that if she is awake for more than 2 hours at a time, she becomes "over-tired" and nearly impossible to console. As her momma, I know that what she needs most right now is rest.

The thing she needs most is the thing she is fighting the hardest.

How many times am I like that in my life?  How many times does God simply call me to rest in Him, and instead, I want to do things my own way? I toss and turn, trying to figure out things on my own. I try to fight my way out of His "swaddling" arms and make myself busy looking around at the world instead of closing my eyes and resting in Him. I fight stillness with every ounce of my being because I "don't want to miss anything."

My Father knows what I need most is to rest in Him.

So, just maybe today, as God has made so very clear, I will take a cue from my own child and see the very thing that I also need to learn.

Rest.

-L

Comments