Skip to main content

Mom Who Works

I am a mom who works. Some may call this a "working mom," but I don't exactly identify with that term. I was a working professional long before I was a mom, and yet my role as mom now comes before my role as a working professional. While neither role individually defines me, they are both inherently embedded in who I am. Being a mom makes me better in my role as a pediatric clinical pharmacist, and having a career outside of my home makes me better in my role as a mom to my own children. I personally need the balance of the two roles to feel like I can really come alive, pursue my dreams, nurture my family, and be myself.

The term "working mom" implies that not all moms work. And if you are a mom in any capacity - whether you stay at home with your children full-time, work from home, or have a career outside of the home,  let's all just stop and agree that being a mom in and of itself is a role that is WORK. It is the most rewarding work, but work nonetheless.

After being at home with my 3 children (ages 3 and under) for the past 12 weeks, I can wholly verify that this is WORK. It is beautiful, but it is messy. It is exhausting, and yet so rewarding. To have the chance to shape these young lives, speak identity over them, and guide them as they learn about the world around them brings me such joy!  I spent 10 months growing each of these humans, and much longer before that dreaming about and praying for each of them! I have dedicated my life to nurturing them, and there is incredible purpose in this role!

As much as I have loved being home with my 3 daughters 7 days a week, I am also very much looking forward to returning to my practice as a clinical pharmacist this fall. I have spent many years of my life preparing and specializing to do this work, and it also brings me much joy! Like my job as a mother, my job as a pharmacist is also beautiful but messy, and exhausting yet rewarding.  It is also purposeful work to serve people outside of my family and to help bring healing into their lives.

I am blessed to not have to choose between a family I love and a career that I'm passionate about. I love being a mom who works.


My husband is a dad who works. But does anyone ever refer to him as a "working dad"? Not so much. Isn't it funny how our society puts our roles in boxes, especially the roles of a mother and father within the structure of a family? For most traditional purposes, it's often assumed that a dad works. People tend to applaud a father who is also very involved with raising his children and dedicated to his family. As a "family man," he is viewed as well balanced and successful.

This is contrary to the label that unfortunately "working moms" sometimes receive. While fathers are applauded for their family efforts alongside their careers, mothers are too often judged for engaging in work outside the home that "takes them away from their family." Alternatively, sometimes women are viewed in the workplace as less dedicated/efficient/capable if they are also mothers. This is ironic to me, as I can confidently say that I have become far more efficient in my professional job since having children. I manage my time better, multitask better, and have more ability to focus on the tasks that need completed; this stems from skills I've developed as a mother and household manager. I do my best at work to serve my patients in a timely manner so that I can return home to my own family and spend time with them.

Now, don't get me wrong, I am not saying that men shouldn't also be recognized for their efforts as fathers who work; I simply don't think they should be applauded any differently than mothers who work.  I am extremely proud of my husband for blocking off his calendar during the last hour of his workday, which alerts his colleagues that he is not available for last minute meetings during this time unless previously arranged. He intends to leave work on time so that he can come straight home to be with our family. Before he even accepted his current job, he told his [now] boss that for him family comes first, and he would expect to not routinely take work home with him.

My point is that we should celebrate our roles equally! We are all parents, just doing the best we can for our families. In some seasons of life, that involves more time dedicated to a career that is providing for our family's wellbeing. In other seasons, we are able to pour more time into our children and allow our careers to soar on auto pilot. In all seasons, we are committed to our children while also pursuing the dreams that make us come alive!

Since my husband and I are both in the same career that requires us to function at a very high capacity, we have realized that for our family, it is best if we are both not running full speed ahead in our jobs at the same time. In an earlier season, he worked from home while I jumped head first into a new career challenge.  In our current season, I am embracing the opportunity to work part time while my husband pursues his career goals, which have taken him to the next level. Because we are parents who work, we support one another in our desires to raise our children while utilizing our medical skills to also serve others.

A while back, I decided to stop asking people about their job when I first meet them. Instead, I like to ask how they spend their days! Asking a mother if she "works" is implying that her role in raising children is not work. And asking a father what his "job" is implies that he must do something other than raise his children. Learning how people spend their days instead gives them an open door to share their passions, both in raising a family and in pursuing a career.

Ask me how I spend my days? I pursue the things that make my heart come alive! For me, that includes serving my God, enjoying time with my husband, raising my three daughters, taking care of my body through fitness and personal hobbies, educating people on making healthy lifestyle choices, and taking care of my pediatric patients.

And...I am a mom who works.

-L




Comments