Skip to main content

Lillian Cole

For 9 incredible months of pregnancy, we joyfully awaited the arrival of our third daughter, who we fondly referred to as our little "Junebug."  As the month of June came and nearly ended, we began to wonder if she would live up to her nickname...

...At last, with only 11.5 hours to spare on the very last day of June, Lillian Cole Peek entered our world and absolutely stole our hearts!  All 8lb, 15oz, and 21 inches of this blond-haired, blue-eyed beauty made her show-stopping appearance in an exhilerating finale of a 12 hour labor!





To explain the meaning behind her name, we have to start at the beginning...

As I mentioned in a recent post about fathers, my Dad and JJ's grandfather were two of the single most influential figures in our lives growing up. They both impacted our lives in the best ways possible, and we have always wanted to honor them through the legacy they began for our future family.

Growing up, my dad gave me the nickname "Lil." I'm not quite sure where this even originated, but it started as Lil, and then somewhere along the way morphed into "Lily-ann" or "Lilliana" (Little Leigh Ann?) To this day, "Lil" still sometimes escapes his lips when referring to me, and it's a name that makes me smile.

J.J.'s grandfather, Cole, has been the consistent father figure in his life. Better known to us as "Pappo," Cole not only raised J.J., but also officiated our wedding! He's always been so well loved by "Mammo," his 3 children, 7 grandchildren, and 8 great-grandchildren... and we felt that his 9th great-grandchild - boy or girl - should somehow carry his name.



Enter November, 2017...

Sitting at the kitchen table at dinner, our three year old daughter Charlotte suddenly said, "Momma, I'm SO excited to get a new baby!!!" I laughed and said, "Oh really? Did you ask Santa for a baby doll?"
Charlotte: "No, momma, I mean a REAL baby. Just like Adeline."
Me:  "Ohhh you'd better ask God about that one... And just where is this baby going to come from???"
Charlotte: Motions me over to her chair, lifts up my shirt, points to my stomach... "It's in THERE Momma!!! See, I can feel it."
Me: Speechless, followed by nervous laughter and changing the subject... and after putting her to bed later that evening, I pulled J.J. aside and said we should go buy a pregnancy test ASAP...
...and, of course I don't even need to tell you, but the result was positive!

We did not tell Charlotte the news for another month, but over the next few weeks she continued to say that she had been asking Jesus for a baby and confidently repeated that she would be getting another baby sister. And she insisted that her name would be Lily...




Lillian is a name derived from the flower lily. It signifies innocence, purity, and beauty. Not only was I subconsciously drawn to floral patterns throughout this entire pregnancy, but we believe this child will be a bringer of purity and peace wherever she goes!




Cole is a name of English/Irish origin that embodies richness and depth. In English, it is a diminutive of Colin, which means, "of a Triumphant People." Cole is also translated to "Warrior" in Irish and "People's Victory" in Greek. Though she be but little, innocent, and pure, we believe Lillian will also be fierce, strong, and victorious!




Lillian Cole, you join your adoring big sisters Charlotte Ann and Adeline Grace as the perfect addition to our family, and we love you so much!


[Photography by marythomasphotography.com]













Comments

  1. I've always prayed, dreamed, and labored over naming our children, too. Their dad and I held naming them as a sacred thing. It's so lovely to read about your new Lillian and the beautiful story behind her name. Lily of the Valley is my birth flower, so I've been learning about lilies of all varieties. It's so sweet to learn about yours.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment