Skip to main content

The Gift of Opportunity

There's something so gratifying about finding the perfect gift for a certain person. There's something even more special about knowing that you are blessing not only the recipient, but also the seller/crafter/vendor.  Throughout my world travels, I have been privileged to meet many incredibly talented and hard-working individuals whose craft is truly their livelihood...  Amazon women in Peru who create unique hand-painted pottery.  Turkish women who labor over carpet looms. African women who sew vibrant batik cloths into elaborate dresses.  These women (and men, too) paint, dye, spin, sew, and craft products that can not be recreated, as each item is one of a kind.  I make it a point to purchase some of these quality souvenirs to remind me of each country I visit.  Of all the decor in my home, my international items consistently draw the most compliments from house guests!

While I am excited to present many of my family members with unique, handmade Christmas gifts from my recent travels, I am even more pleased to know that these gifts are providing dignity for the laborers who created them.  The gift of opportunity, sense of self worth, and economic freedom is priceless, and the knowledge that I am helping in even a small way is an invaluable gift to myself as well. 

Here are just a few of many fair-trade online stores that offer an assortment of unique gift options for your holiday giving.  You can be sure that the gifts are not only reasonably priced for you the buyer, but the craftsmen and women are also receiving a fair price for their products.

This year, consider giving the gift of opportunity...


www.karamagifts.com
cometogethertrading.com
www.redearthtradingco.com
www.furnacehillscoffee.com/index
www.noondaycollection.com
www.bethejoy.com
www.goodnewsgoods.com
www.theopenarmsshop.com
www.commonthreadz.org
www.globalgirlfriend.com
www.3seams.com
www.ravenandlily.com
www.tradeasone.com
www.thehungersite.org
www.funkyfishdesigns.com
www.indigenous.com
www.worldfinds.com
www.purecitizen.com


Blessed to give,
-L

*Disclaimer: I have not personally ordered from all of the websites listed above, so I can not endorse their customer service, etc. They are simply causes that I believe in, and the websites have come as recommendations from various friends and like-minded organizations.*  

Comments

  1. I'm glad to see the vendor your gift came from is on your list here. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yessss! You might be one of the family members I referenced who will be receiving a "unique, handmade gift from my recent travels,"… I'm not saying, but you just might be a recipient ; )

      Delete
  2. Thank you for these great ideas, Leigh! I'm going shopping!
    www.predatory-lies.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Abby! I enjoy your comments, and I'm so glad you found these gift ideas helpful. I just realized, however, that I did not have the websites properly linked to the actual websites (rookie blogger mistake!) but I have corrected them now. I apologize for the inconvenience!

      Delete

Post a Comment