Skip to main content

The Kindness of Pregnancy

I have a confession. I truly LOVE pregnancy. 




To be fair, I admit that I’ve been extremely fortunate to have 3 entirely uncomplicated pregnancy experiences to date – not a single day of morning sickness,  a general feeling of overall wellness, and natural childbirths without complications. [This is certainly not the experience for many women, and I truly empathize with those who have been dealt a much more difficult hand of pregnancy and labor difficulties.] Don’t get me wrong - the exhaustion, the sleepless nights, and the constant adjustments of a growing body are real.  But the flutters of life inside of me – an actual human being growing inside my own body – is a phenomenon that literally leaves me in awe every single day. I actually embrace the extra pounds and body curves, because I am providing extra building blocks for another life. I feel strong, empowered, and beautiful when I think about the way our Creator entrusts my body with this incredible process.

In addition to my introspectively positive outlook on pregnancy, there is another aspect that makes me love it even more. It is the kindness that pregnancy reveals in the world around me.

There’s something about a visibly expectant woman that makes other humans especially considerate, cautious, and friendly. I’m not sure if it’s the notion that pregnant women are more “fragile” or that people simply connect with the simple joy of new human life being formed. Regardless of the reason, I love the kindness in humanity that becomes more apparent during pregnancy.

I never have more doors held open, seats offered, cars slowing to motion my crossing, random conversations with friendly strangers, or general sentiments of well wishes, than when I am pregnant. Suddenly, I appear more approachable, and people are likely to engage in a way they otherwise might not. Strangers who normally would walk by without a glance suddenly make eye contact, slow down, and ask how I’m doing. Men and women I’ve never previously spoken to at my gym suddenly encourage me during my workouts, strike up locker room conversations, and joke about my needing to “work on those abs instead of those arms.”  A female barista at the coffee shop randomly tells me I look gorgeous. My male colleagues joke about making an emergency plan – and assign each other specific roles - should I suddenly go into labor while at work. People consistently offer me a place in line ahead of themselves where food is involved!    

During pregnancy, the world is suddenly a kinder place. But what if this were always the case, pregnant or not? When a woman is clearly carrying a child, people tend to acknowledge the importance of her role, the significance of her life, and the miraculous life inside of her. If we really stop and think about it though, every human carries an important life – their own – that is worthy of recognition, acknowledgement, and empathy. Consider that people may be more fragile than they appear on the outside, and that there may be an entirely unseen life within. How much more would strangers feel seen and loved if we took the time to ask how they are doing – and actually stop to hear their answer, smile, offer a helping hand, or make eye contact in passing? What if we randomly (and sincerely) complimented strangers on a regular basis? How much would it lift someone’s spirit (and satisfy their hunger) to step back and let someone go ahead of us in line for food, even if we already know what we plan to order?  I have a feeling it would make them experience some of the “glow” of pregnancy for themselves. 

I think I’ll start a new hashtag campaign #seetheworldpregnant… J But in all seriousness, if we viewed each individual we encounter with the kindness that is extended during pregnancy, the impact would be huge.  Pretend everyone around you is carrying a life of significance inside of them - - - because they are!

Just don’t ask them how much weight they’ve gained…

In kindness,
L

Comments

Post a Comment