Skip to main content

Age of Adeline: 2 Months!

Addie Grace,

You are two months old now, and I want to tell you something. Lean in close and listen carefully, because this is so important. It's something that your daddy and I haven't shared with virtually anyone, but you should know...

When momma was 18 weeks pregnant with you, we had an ultrasound. We were thrilled when it showed that you would be a baby girl! At my next appointment, I saw the report from that ultrasound that listed out all of your body systems and reported "normal" on all of them...all of them except for one. Brain --- see comments below, it read. My heart skipped a beat when I read the details below. Details that said there were cysts on your brain. Cysts that could suggest some genetic abnormalities that may cause some developmental delay. To that point, my pregnancy tests had all been normal, but we wouldn't know anything more until you were born.

On the drive home from that appointment, I cried. Sobbed. But through my tears, I began to worship God. I began to praise Him that you were fearfully and wonderfully made. Even though deep down I was terrified by the possibilities, I decided to praise Him you would be perfect and whole. When I shared the news with your daddy that night, we agreed right then and there that we would not share the news with anyone, as we didn't want to be influenced by anyone else's doubt, sympathy, or assumptions. We were standing on the belief that your brain was perfect, no matter what that report said. We prayed and told no one. And prayed some more.

Now, here we stand, several months later--- and you are in fact a perfect, healthy two month old! Over the past month, we have watched you really thrive and grow. Sometimes I still cry when I look at you. You are an answered prayer and a constant reminder of God's faithfulness.




You are THE sweetest baby. Gentle, peaceful, and [mostly] calm, you are even a good sleeper at night! You still have parents for roommates, and you have staked your claim next to Momma's side of the bed in your bassinet. Your sister is still sleeping in the crib {which will soon be yours} but at some point, you will be her roommate. For now, though, nighttime feedings are made much easier with you by my side (but in your own bed).






The ultrasound results had a big impact on me, not only thinking about the brain cysts (which only had a very small percentage of causing issues), but also about other possibilities that exist for every child--- what if you had other physical development issues or special needs? For the first time, I stepped back and acknowledged that I could not compare you to your sister. You are your own person, and you will have different gifts and talents than she. She is brilliant, strong-willed, athletic, and a big time extrovert --and I suddenly realized I had been subconsciously holding you to the same standard. Though believing that your brain would be perfect, your daddy and I also prepared our hearts to receive you however you were, no matter what that looked like.  We would love you and care for you just the same! As it turned out, you were born healthy, and we praise God for you. As for that big sister, she thinks you're pretty perfect, too :) 



This month, I attended a baby shower, where some women who I didn't know went absolutely nuts over you...passing you around, ooo-ing and ahhh-ing over your hair (did I mention you have great hair?!), and gushing all about your sweetness.  One of the women came over to me and said she could hardly believe that you weren't even two months old yet, and that she could tell you are brilliant. She was amazed at how well you were focusing on faces and tracking me around the room, and she was sure your eyes sparkled with a sort of knowing.  I could have just cried in that moment, remembering the tears I had shed and the prayers I had prayed leading up to your birth. 





 You are a healthy girl who loves to eat, sleep, and eat some more. At your 2 month well child checkup, you weighed 13 pounds...! You are also on track with all of your developmental milestones, and we have no reason to believe this will change. Not only do you have eyes that smile, but you started actually smiling and cooing this month (mostly in response to your momma's voice :) You have discovered your hands, and you are constantly lifting that head up for a better view of your world. 










And did I mention you have great hair...?!  ; )





Sweet Adeline, you are so, so loved! We loved you before we knew you, and we fall more in love with who you are each and every day. Above all, we feel so loved by our Father who designed you and knew that you would be the perfect fit for our family. May we always remember His faithfulness when we look at you!

Love,
Momma and Daddy




Comments