Skip to main content

Bag of Life

I've heard it said, "Do what you love, and you'll never work a day in your life."

I truly get to do what I love and love what I do.
I am a full-time working professional, a full-time wife, and a full-time momma.
I love each of these roles. But they are most definitely WORK.

Having a career I'm passionate about makes me excited to go to work each day, knowing that I get to love and serve children and their families during the most vulnerable time in their lives. Being a part of the healing process is incredibly rewarding, and having a front row seat to watch God's miracles take place is absolutely awe-inspiring.

Even so, it doesn't make being away from my baby girl 10+ hours a day, 5 days a week, easy!  There are many days where I literally only spend 2 waking hours with her. She is still asleep when I leave for work, and she goes to bed not long after I get home.  The commute to and from work is long, and the time I get with my girl is way too short.




Many days, I feel the sting of missing out on my daughter's day (come on, how could you not miss that sweet blonde ponytail?!) and yet I know I'm exactly where I'm supposed to be. God has equipped me for each of these roles and given me the capacity to thrive in them.

This morning at work however, my heart was particularly burdened for the time I was away from my daughter. It has been a full week in every area of my life, and I was feeling like I was at max capacity. Then, as I grabbed my bag to head upstairs to patient care rounds, I looked down and saw something... There, sandwiched between my planner and my patient reports was my baby's favorite "lovey," which had somehow made it's way into my work bag!



It was the sweetest reminder that I needed in that exact moment... that my identity is not in my job or even in my role as a momma/wife.  I've been given the privilege to serve in each of these capacities, and just as my bag held all of these different aspects of my life, my heart holds them also - roles overlapping, sometimes unorganized and spilling into unconfined spaces. There is no need to keep them compartmentalized and perfectly well-defined. Somehow all the pieces fit together, and they are never too heavy because I don't carry them alone.

God is so faithful and kind to bring me reminders like these when I need them most. And that little ponytailed blonde... well, she has a way of sending a piece of herself with her momma wherever she goes. 




Don't mind me, I'm just carrying my bag full of life,
-L


Comments