Skip to main content

Shaken

Today marks the second day of Holy Week, a week in which we observe the greatest tragedy, sorrow, and victory the world has ever known...Christ's death, burial, and resurrection.  This week is book-ended by Palm Sunday and Easter, two joyful days of celebration.  But in the middle, there are somber days in which we reflect on the heaviness of the burden Christ bore for us.

This year, Holy Week has already taken on a heaviness in my heart. For me, Holy Week began with a funeral.

The funeral of an infant.

Today I mourned the tragedy of a sweet baby boy whose life was far too short on this earth. I sat with my physician and nurse colleagues in a packed church, honoring the life of our patient, who we cared for so deeply.

My heart ached as I listened to the sobs of his parents and young siblings, a gut-wrenching feeling of helplessness washing over me.  No one should have to say goodbye to their baby like this.

My spirit stirred as I listened to the words that were spoken, words of comfort and reassurance. Truly, this baby is in the arms of Jesus.

My words were few as I hugged the family members and viewed the smallest casket I've ever seen. What do you say to someone who has had such a precious life stolen from them?

He will never be forgotten. We will always remember your baby boy. Those were the only simple words I could think of to offer.

As I drove back to work, I was shaken. Death is a most difficult concept for many to wrap their minds around, myself included. Why does God spare the life of one so miraculously and not save the life of another? How can the most innocent humans, babies, die so needlessly while there is so much evil in the world that seems to sometimes go unpunished?

These are the hard questions. This is the tough stuff. But God can handle my questioning, and I believe that he wants us to come to Him even in the messiness of our reality. After all, He already knows our thoughts, and He created us to be in relationship with Him.

I don't know why babies die. I don't think it's because, "Heaven needed another angel," or "God needed them in Heaven." (First of all, we don't become angels when we die, and secondly God doesn't need us in Heaven to accomplish His works - although he allows us to partner with him to accomplish His will on this Earth.) Those are words often offered with good intentions in efforts to provide comfort and reassurance to those who mourn, but they are not words of truth.

I do know that God is good. It is His character, and He simply can not contradict Himself. He is good; therefore, He only does good.  Even when I am shaken by tragedy in this world, I hold fast to this truth. He is the same God who watched His own perfect and blameless son brutally murdered, paying the penalty for the sins of the world. He watched as His own son cried out to Him in agony and then took his last breath on the cross. If anyone knows the pain of this world and understands our broken hearts, it is He.

As I reflect on the tragic events of this Holy Week and of an innocent young life lost, I mourn.  I am heartbroken for a young family who lost their infant son, and I am saddened for a broken world so desperately in need of a Savior.  But in the midst of the sadness, I am also uplifted by the hope that breaks through all darkness. I am filled with joy, for knowing that this faithful family will see their son once again someday in Heaven, and I am hopeful for a world that trembles in great anticipation of our risen Savior.

And I am shaken.

The moon and stars they wept
The morning sun was dead
The Savior of the world was fallen
His body on the cross
His blood poured out for us
The weight of every curse upon him

One final breath he gave 
As heaven looked away
The son of God was laid in darkness
A battle in the grave
The war on death was waged
The power of hell forever broken

The ground began to shake
The stone was rolled away
His perfect love could not be overcome
Now death where is your sting?
Our resurrected king
Has rendered you defeated

Forever He is glorified
Forever He is lifted high
Forever He is risen
He is alive, he is alive

- "Forever" (Kari Jobe)

Comments

  1. Leigh, my heart hurts with you! And with the family. But I must say that the reality of our mortality has been bringing eternity home to me lately. What hope we have! A new and living hope--kept in heaven!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment